Structural engineering is a challenging career and is for the people who love the challenge of providing suitable and attractive shape to the ever growing and changing urban landscape. Structural engineers, being the designers and supervisors of the different types of constructions which are the essential components of modern civilization consisting of buildings, railways and bridges, can also be said to be responsible for the safety of the people indirectly.
Structural Engineer Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Calculating the maximum load that a structure can support and the safe limit of stress it can withstand is an important job for the structural engineer.
- Determining whether a structure can perform the function required of it safely is the prime objective of the structural engineer to prevent any mishaps later.
- Another challenging aspect of this job is to keep the construction cost within budget with optimum utilization of the material available.
Structural Engineer Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communications skill with the ability of teamwork and co operation with other members is necessary to become successful in this job as in most projects a structural engineer will have to work with several others and also as supervisor.
- Good problem solving capability and proper knowledge about stress and load calculations, mathematical problems and cost optimization is a must to shine in this field.
Structural Engineer Qualifications and Educations
- A bachelor’s degree of four years in structural or civil engineering is required to become a structural engineer.
- Any further higher degrees are of course helpful in securing a job.
- The engineers having prior experience and with successful projects to adorn their resume will be preferred.